Spring with all it’s glory is in full swing for sure, there’s no better way for me to revel in all of it’s magnificent beauty than to lace up my tennis shoes and enjoy a morning walk. Not only does it do my mind, body and spirit wonders; it really puts a smile on my face and gives me an extra boost that seems to last the rest of the day…
If you’re like me, as much as I enjoy being outside during spring, the pollen can really do a number on my sinuses, and I get terrible headaches, runny eyes, and a stuffy nose that runs from morning till night. These natural remedies really do help.
- Neti Pot and saline rinse
- Local Honey
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Probiotics (boost immune system)
- Quercetin is a natural bioflavonoid that is said to help stabilize mast cells to keep them from releasing histamine. It is also a potent antioxidant that is said to help reduce inflammation. It is best used as a long term remedy and many people start taking it about 4-6 weeks before allergy season to help prevent allergy symptoms.As with any herb, you should check with your doctor before using, especially if you have a liver problem, are pregnant, or are on hormonal contraceptives.
To Use: Though Quercetin is naturally found in foods like citrus and broccoli, it is very difficult to get the amount needed to relive allergies from food alone. A supplemental dose can be helpful for preventing allergies or helping acute symptoms. Not recommended during pregnancy or nursing though some practitioners feel it is safe after the first trimester and while nursing.
Allergy Relief Blend by Yellowstar Essentials
German Chamomile, Roman Chamomile, High Altitude Lavender, Blue Tansy, Melissa-Lemon Balm, Ravensara, Cajeput, Eucalyptus, Spikenard, Frankincense, Rosemary, Lemongrass, Fir, Niaouli, Pine-Long Leaf, Pine Scotch, Spruce, Douglas Fir, Vetiver, and Wild Black Spruce.
The following essential oils can be used for relief of allergies :
- Blue tansy,(Tanacetum annum True Moroccan blue Chamomile) – 25
- all Chamomiles,(Roman-15, German-5, and Moroccan-5 – Ormensis multicaulis)
- Melissa / lemon balm,-20
- Lavender, High Altitude-60
- Pine-Long Leaf, – 20 drops
- Pine Scotch, – 20 drops
- Spruce – 30 drops
- Wild Black Spruce- 12 drops
To make your own allergy relief blend, gather essential oils listed above and a pipette for each (unless they have orifice reducers), and a one ounce dark glass sterilized bottle. This blend may be added to a diffuser, a spray, an inhaler, or even a few drops on a handkerchief carried around with you. If you want to add this to the allergen home spray recipe, for a 16 oz bottle (as recipes lists above) use no more than ¼ oz (7.5 ml), and ideally ⅛ oz (a dram, or 3.75 ml).
Sorry, link isn’t there anymore. But read on to see more of my original article—->
Living with allergies is no fun, and can be completely miserable for those who suffer with them. Even the simple act of getting out of bed may be too much for those who have a terrible case of allergies.
And with all the over-the-counter medicines, you never really know what you are putting into your body. Some of the chemicals used may be just as bad as the allergies they are suffering with, and may even worsen some of the symptoms, and almost as bad, mask the problems so they are never really rid of the root causes completely. This is just another reason people are turning to natural remedies.
An Allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder of the immune system, or an exaggerated immune response or reaction to substances that are generally not harmful.
So, building up your immune system is the best way to deal with the root of your allergies.
Finding the root cause of the allergy is your biggest asset and will eventually help lead you to dealing with the problem once and for all.
Start by giving your immune system a big step up by getting some sunshine, and enough sleep, eat lots of veges, fruits, nuts and seeds, garlic, mushrooms…—>A study in older adults showed that boosting fruit and vegetable intake improved antibody response to the Pneumovax vaccine, which protects against Streptococcus pneumonia.
Natural Immune Boosting Tips:
- Consider probiotics. Studies indicate supplements reduce the incidence of respiratory and gastrointestinal infections. Fermented milk products have also been shown to reduce respiratory infections in adults and kids.
- Catch some rays. Sunlight triggers the skin’s production of vitamin D. In the summer, a 10-15 minute exposure (minus sunscreen) is enough. However, above 42 degrees latitude (Boston) from November through February, sunlight is too feeble and few foods contain this vitamin. Low vitamin D levels correlate with a greater risk of respiratory infection. A 2010 study in kids showed that 1200 IU a day of supplemental vitamin D reduced the risk of influenza A. However, a 2012 study that involved supplementing adults with colon cancer with 1000 IU a day failed to demonstrate protection against upper respiratory infections.
- Go for the garlic. Garlic is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent and immune booster. Because heat deactivates a key active ingredient, add it to foods just before serving.
- Eat medicinal mushrooms, such as shiitake and maitake (sometimes sold as “hen of the woods”). A recent study showed that a concentrated extract of shiitake enhanced immune function in women with breast cancer.
- Try immune-supportive herbs. If you get recurrent infections, consider taking immune-supportive herbs such as eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticocus), Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng), American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius), or astragalus (A. membranaceus).
- Make an echinacea tincture. This is good to have on hand when respiratory viruses overwhelm your defenses.
- Read more of; 10 simple and natural ways to boost your immune system here
Essential oils are one great way to give a boost to your immune system.
Essential oils used properly can also help those suffering from allergies get some relief, and for some, even help rid them of the allergy entirely.
Before attempting to make ANY of these recipes or use essential oils, please do your homework.
Essential oil safety should be first on your list, especially when first starting out on your aromatherapy journey.
Treat essential oils with the same care that you treat medicines. You don’t need to be afraid or avoid essential oils and I’m certainly not trying to scare anyone out of enjoying all the benefits that aromatherapy offers. They can be an amazing blessing within a holistic lifestyle. Do remember, however, that when working with essential oils, less is more.
Dilute your essential oils prior to use on the skin and avoid the oils that are more likely to cause irritation and sensitization. When using an essential oil for the first time, do a skin patch test. You can learn how to do a skin patch test by reading AromaWeb’s Aromatherapy Safety article.
—–> Before using any essential oils, please read these helpful primers: Cautions & Warnings before Using Essential Oils, How to use Essential Oils:. , AND Dilution ratios for blends and essential oil recipes;
Here are a list of great essential oils that are wonderful for boosting the immune system;
Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Rosemary, Oregano, Lemon, Cinnamon, Frankincense, Vetiver, Thyme, Savory, Niaouli, Ravensara, Peppermint, Clove, Palmarosa, Coriander, Bergamot, Geranium, and Bay Laurel.
I make a wonderful Immune Boost Blend that packs a powerful punch, and really does what it says…boosts the immune system and gives your body great tools for the fight.
Also, Read this post I wrote about allergies, you may find some good tips in there to help, See it here.
Allergen Home Spray Recipe
To make this spray, I went to a trusted company whom everyone seems to buy their products in the local grocery and found the following:
Ingredients include: (Water, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hypochlorite).
which is basically, washing soda, salt, and bleach diluted heavily with water!
Washing soda is a highly alkaline chemical compound that can be used to remove stubborn stains from laundry. It also has numerous uses around the house, and it is used in a range of industrial applications as well. Washing soda should not be confused with washing powder, which is a powdered soap used as a detergent; it is also not the same thing as baking soda, although the two compounds are closely related.- read more here
It would be simple to make your own large bottle of this home allergen spray, which would save you scads of money.
Here’s how you would make your own—In a 16 oz spray bottle (from the dollar store) you would use mostly purified water (bottle filled almost to the top with hot purified water to dissolve the rest of the ingredients) add a little washing soda (about a TBL.) and salt (about a TBL), and a tiny bit of bleach (about a tsp.), shake well and walla! Homemade allergen spray!
Though, this does not include any essential oils for extra benefits. Which would be where you’d just add about 1/8 oz, or about a dram of E.O.s to it and shake it up! That’s it! Try using my Allergy Relief Blend.
If you’re looking to purchase oils I recommend the following suppliers: as they are the only suppliers I have found that offer true therapeutic grade or top notch essential oils.
Bella Mira (I’m an affiliate)
Liberty Naturals (not an affiliate)
NaturesGift (not an affiliate)
Others that I’m NOT affiliated with:
- Heritage Oils
- Native American Nutritionals
- Ananda Apothecary
- North American Herb and Spice (only oregano oil)
- Aura Cacia (great information on oils, but not the best quality)
The company that has the best essential oils for the money, with natural healing qualities and no additives or adulterating, and ethics about oil production is Native American Nutritionals:
If you love Young Living Oils or are a Young Living Distributor try Bella Mira therapeutic grade essential oils ..test for yourself the difference…you will receive a discounted price if you are already a distributor w/YL.
For Young Living Oils: If you would like to receive a discount on therapeutic grade essential oils just sign up at Young Living and use my Young Living Distributor # 1064822
Also, NewDirectionsAromatics is a great place for essential oils;
NDA coupon code; (New Directions Aromatics)
The coupon is 19559 – it has no expiry but can only be used once.
FromNatureWithLove.com – FromNatureWithLove.com offers a large selection of 1,750+ natural ingredients used in skin care, hair care, cosmeceutical applications, massage, aromatherapy, spa products and herbal preparations. FNWL also offers a large selection of packaging supplies, bath accessories, natural body scrubs, books and equipment.