I received an email from a wonderful lady (70 years young) and it got me thinking about people who may be interested in learning about how to use essential oils (e.o.s) safely when first starting.
There are so many things I’ve learned over the 20+ yrs. I’ve been doing this and today is a great day to share some common cautions and warnings about using nature’s little wonders.
Be aware that they are super concentrated, and made of plants/bark/resins/berries/seeds, etc. and can cause allergies for some, and should always be diluted before use on the body.
First, children and the elderly should always use less than the recommended amounts, and certain oils should never be used on children/elderly/or pregnant women.
- Always dilute essential oils before use!
- Do a patch test to check for allergies
- They are highly concentrated substances,
- Use with caution, especially around children, elderly, or pregnant women.
- Read these Usage Warnings & Cautions before using any essential oils.
Even though essential oils, such as Lavender, or Tea Tree may be very safe and beneficial in skin healing or treatments, you should always perform an allergy test before using directly on skin. ________________________________________________________________________________________ Usage Warnings and Cautions
- Essential Oils usually require dilution if not already diluted
- Do not use Oils near the eyes
- If hands have been in contact with Oils, do not touch your face, mucous membranes, nose, or genitals
- Keep Essential Oils out of reach of children
- If using on children reduce concentration (dilute at least by half more)
- On children under 2 years of age refer to Using E.O.’s With Pregnant Mothers, Children & Infants ( below)
- Be cautious using essential oils during pregnancy
- Avoid sun exposure when using citrus oils
- Sensitivity to oils may vary considerably. It is best to start treatment with a lower dose or dilution and work up. Sensitivity may vary according to the herbs used. Some herbs have a mild effect while others may have a stronger effect and should be used carefully.
Dilution Ratios for Topical Applications
The Prescription for Nutritional Healing recommends the following dilution ratios:
- Baths: 8 drops essential oil for one tub of water
- Body Lotion: 25 drops essential oil for 8 ounces
- Carpet Freshener: 25 drops essential oil to 16 oz of water
- Cleaning: 25 drops essential oil to 2 gallons of water
- Facial Oil: 6 drops of essential oil to 1 ounce of jojoba oil
- Hair Conditioner: 1 drop of essential oil to 6 oz of unscented conditioner
- Massage Oil: 25 drops of essential oil to 2 ounces of almond oil.
- Perfume: 12 drops essential oil to one half oz of water
- Room Deodorizer: 25 drops of essential oil to 16 oz of water
- Shampoo: 12 drops of essential oil to 16 oz of unscented shampoo
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
|BERGAMOT||Uplifting, refreshing||Cystitis, skin irritations, anxiety||Postnatal use, babies and children (if oil diffused in air)|
|CALENDULA||Antiseptic, healing.||Stretch marks, nappy rash, skin irritations||Advanced pregnancy, babies and children|
|CHAMOMILE ROMAN||Calming, soothing, anti-inflammatory, very gentle||Nausea, postnatal breast care, nappy rash, dry skin, insomnia, morning sickness.||Pregnancy, babies and children|
|CLARY SAGE||Antispasmodic, astringent, euphoric, uplifting||Menstrual pain, pre-menstrual, tension dry skin stress anxiety depression||Late stages of childbirth. Postnatal use|
|CYPRESS||Astringent, warming||Perineum healing, hemorrhoids, anxiety, tension||For pregnancy if secure after five months, post natal use.|
|EUCALYPTUS||Anti bacterial, antiviral, decongestant, energizing||Colds, fever, asthma, sinusitis, wounds, bronchitis||Babies and children (if oil diffused in air)|
|FENNEL SWEET||Diuretic, hormone balances||Strengthens womb, stimulates lactation, cellulite, edema||Last weeks of pregnancy. Postnatal use|
|FRANKINCENSE||Relaxing calming healing comforting||Labor, stress fear||Advanced pregnancy|
|GERANIUM||Antiseptic, uplifting, antidepressant, hormone balances, stabilizing||Dermatitis, eczema, postnatal depression||Advanced pregnancy, childbirth, postnatal use.|
|HYPERICUM||Anti –inflammatory, soothing||Stretch marks, skin irritation, nervous tension||Advanced pregnancy|
|JASMINE||Uplifting, stimulating||Postnatal depression, uterine tonic, coughs, dry skin, dermatitis||Late stages of child birth postnatal use.|
|JUNIPER||Diuretic, detoxifying||Perineum healing, stretch marks, constipation, cellulite, tension||Postnatal use|
|LAVENDER||Antibacterial, antidepressant, soothing, calming, balancing, versatile||Headaches pain eczema, insomnia, and nappy rash, postnatal breast care.||Pregnancy, childbirth, postnatal use, babies and children|
|LEMON||Antiseptic uplifting, cleansing, refreshing||Morning sickness nausea, heartburn, colds, lymphatic tonic||Pregnancy postnatal use babies and children|
|MARJORAM||Sedating, warming||Insomnia, perineum healing||Postnatal use|
|MYRRH||Anti fungal, antiseptic, anti –inflammatory, cooling||Nappy rash thrush, skin care||Postnatal use older babies and children|
|NEROLI||Soothing balancing, healing calming||Dry skin, scars circulation, stretch marks, stress, anxiety||Pregnancy ,,postnatal use|
|ORANGE||Uplifting, calming||Skin care stress, insomnia heartburn, lymphatic tonic, anxiety||Pregnancy babies and children (if oil diffused in air)|
|PEPPERMINT||Anti bacterial, analgesic, decongestant, antispasmodic||Morning sickness, nausea, headaches, indigestion||Late stages of pregnancy|
|PETITGRAIN||Antidepressant, uplifting, refreshing||Skin care, insomnia, stress, inexpensive substitute for neroli||Pregnancy postnatal use.|
|ROSE||Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, soothing, uplifting, hormone balances||Dry skin strengthens womb tension, nausea||Last weeks of pregnancy, childbirth postnatal use|
|ROSEWOOD||Antiseptic, tonic, sedative, calming||Nervous tension anxiety, stress tiredness, dry skin.||Later stages of child birth|
|SANDALWOOD||Healing sedative relaxing warming||Skin rash, nausea, heartburn diarrhea colds nappy rash||Pregnancy, childbirth. Postnatal use, babies and children|
|TANGERINE ORMANDARIN||Soothing calming uplifting||Stretch marks insomnia, nervous tension, scars||Pregnancy childbirth|
|YLANG YLANG||Antidepressant, relaxing, sedative, calming||Skin care, insomnia, hypertension, palpitations, and tension.||Advanced pregnancy|
these are just a few……..