—–> Before using any essential oils, please read this helpful primer: Uses of Essential Oils:
Originally from my Yahoo repertoire, I decided to add this gem to my blog. Happy new year!
With this article, I’ll show you how it’s possible to employ pure therapeutic grade essential oils to help ease depression and lessen anxiety, simply and naturally.
First things first, if you’ve never used essential oils before, read a primer I wrote on essential oils, what they are and the difference between therapeutic grade and most “on the market” essential oils called “Many Helpful Suggestions on Uses of Essential Oils” before delving into this article, it will save you lots of questions. (Since my links/articles are still orphaned and looking for homes, for the purposes of safety, and if you are not familiar with essential oils please read Ananda Apothecary’s beginner’s guides to aromatherapy here before using any essential oils. 🙂
More and more these days, plants are finding a medicinal purpose in our lives, people like natural cures rather than subjecting themselves to harsh man-made chemicals and pills.
“A depressed emotional state is a common reason for using complementary and alternative therapies today. A wide range of psychological, physical, and energetic issues can lead to feelings of depression and a pervasive outlook of negativity. Moreover, once in a state of depression, patterns can arise that make relief all the more difficult to find. The use of essential oils for uplifting the psyche and spirit is becoming more widespread because of the oils’ broad and dramatic effects. While the oils themselves may not directly affect the underlying cause of depression, they may help individuals break free from depressive cycles – they may provide the impetus to ‘get off the couch’, so to speak, and begin creating long lasting change.”– Ananda Apothecary
Can essential oils help with anxiety?
The short answer is yes. The how and why are a bit more scientific, but suffice to say that it’s true what they say, “your nose knows”. You’ve definitely experienced this before. A good example would be smelling a freshly baked apple pie and remembering Grandma’s house in the country when you were just a kid. That’s your limbic system at work. Basically, your sense of smell is the shortest and quickest way into your brain, including your memory banks, through the limbic system ( which is the seat of the emotional center and is partly responsible for our our emotional reaction to something, our fight or flight response, our hormonal secretions, motivation, pain reflex and our mood fluctuations). Some essential oils have thousands of chemicals contained within a tiny drop, and some have only a few, but they all have purposes, and can all cause strong reactions when inhaled or used on the skin.
Can essential oils help with depression?
Again, the short answer is yes they can, in the same way they can help with anxiety, essential oils can also aid in reducing melancholy and heightening happy feelings or uplifting your mood by pure science of chemistry. Just knowing what chemicals to use, and that they are pure therapeutic grade essential oils can really ‘make or break’ the deal. Essential oils are really just natural science by God, given to us as “medicine” whether it be for the body (physical), mind (mental), or spirit (emotional and spiritual).
The best therapeutic grade essential oils to use to lift your spirits and put you in a better mood are as follows:
Essential Oils that are Antidepressant mood regulators:
Rose or rose otto – the best ‘heart opener’, aids with joy, uplifts and restores balance
Orange– any citrus oil uplifts and brightens your mood, they are ‘sun in a bottle’, grounding, nourishing, energizing
Bergamot – relaxes nerves and refreshes the spirit
Geranium – like rose, wonderful for work of the heart
Mandarin – another citrus uplifter, but with a more mellow property, works wonders on children
Lemon – super sunshine in a bottle, very uplifting, grounding, nourishing, energizing
Neroli (orange blossom) – comforts the mind and heart, natural tranquillizer for shock, depression or anxiety
Chamomiles – grounding and uplifting
Essential Oils for Anxiety or Stress
Lavender – calming, regenerating, balancing
Chamomiles – remarkable calming effects
Clary Sage – calming, relaxing, balancing,
Geranium – calming, balancing, protecting
Rose or rose otto
Mandarin – wonderful for calming children too
Lemon – refreshing and gentle calming
Bergamot- relaxing, uplifting
Vetiver -very calming, centering, and stabilizing
Neroli– nourishing to spirit and soul, cooling and calming
Palmarosa – calming and uplifting nerves, reduces anxiety
Sweet Marjoram – sedative and toning, immediate calming effect
Frankincense– warming, calming, quieting, awakens the spirit, centering, meditative, new enlightenment of self and encourages an unconditional love
Coriander- healing and anti-inflammatory, aids feelings of security to anyone who is not grounded and calms the spirit
How to use these essential oils for anxiety or depression
There are a variety of ways you can use these essential oils to aid in mood regulation. Two being: INHALATION AND TOPICAL APPLICATION.
One of the simplest ways is to use a diffuser for your personal or work space. Most are quite simple to use either by adding water and a few drops of essential oil, and plugging it in, or by a candle warming the water and oil mixture. You can find them just about anywhere now, from the grocery store to ebay and Amazon , aromatherapy stores or specialty stores. Click Here To Visit Diffuser World.
There are also nebulizers which are even better at dispersing essential oils into the air.
These plug right into your cigarette lighter or extra power source in your dash or console of your car. Take the fresh scent with you and brighten up your day instead of complaining about traffic. After diffusing something like lemon or peppermint in your car I guarantee you’ll spark right up and have a smile on your face.
Best used by adding essential oils to an unscented lotion, aloe vera gel or diluted with an oil, for example, getting a massage.
Although this method is not recommended often as essential oils are potent and may be too strong for some people. Many are sensitive to the extreme potency of a therapeutic grade essential oil, but if you’re feeling brave and have used essential oils before (especially Lavender, one of the safest out there) then feel free to use a couple drops in your palms and rub together to release the scent. You can dab it under your nose, rub a couple drops into your wrists or the like. I would only try this with the following oils:
Lavender, Rose, Neroli, Geranium, Lemon, Mandarin, (almost any citrus oil, but beware citrus oils are phototoxic; meaning don’t wear them in the sun)
There is so much I could say about the wonders of massage…but I don’t want to lose you so I’ll just say that if you can get one, DO! They are the best preventative medicine available to us and with the use of essential oils added to your massage lotion, gel or oil, you won’t believe the miracles that can happen. Just ask any Massage Therapist or “Raindrop Technique Therapist” and you’ll get an ear-full of how magical a massage can be. If your loved one is giving the loving massage, use a MAXIMUM of, or no more than 8-10 drops per oz. as essential oils are very potent. It’s better to use less and add more if needed. Just choose your carrier oil, gel or unscented lotion and add your choice of therapeutic grade essential oils and mix well.
Remember, it’s always better to try than to give up, so smile and know someone is thinking of you and wishes the very best for your health and well-being!
PLEASE, if you are going to use all or any part of my articles, I ask that you please give credit where it is due and link back to my article. Thank you!
Read another wonderful article on this at; Ananda Apothecary http://www.anandaapothecary.com/articles/essential-oils-depression.html
Where to get GOOD therapeutic grade Essential Oils:
Mountain Rose Herbs
Young Living oils (my friend is also a YL distributor her sign up number is: #1071625 )
If you’re looking to purchase oils I recommend the following suppliers: as they are the only suppliers I have found that offer true therapeutic grade or top notch essential oils.
Mountain Rose Herbs: (I an an affiliate)
Oshandhi. (I’m not an affiliate)
Bella Mira (I’m an affiliate)
Liberty Naturals (not an affiliate)
NaturesGift (not an affiliate)
Others that I’m NOT affiliated with:
The company that has the best essential oils for the money, with natural healing qualities and no additives or adulterating, and ethics about oil production is Native American Nutritionals:
Read here for why: http://wholenewmom.com/health-concerns/natural-remedies/announcing-the-best-essential-oils-company-and-a-great-sale/
If you love Young Living Oils or are a Young Living Distributor try Bella Mira therapeutic grade essential oils ..test for yourself the difference…you will receive a discounted price if you are already a distributor w/YL.
For Young Living Oils: If you would like to receive a discount on therapeutic grade essential oils just sign up at Young Living and use my Young Living Distributor # 1064822
Click Here To Visit Diffuser World
ebay and Amazon , aromatherapy stores or specialty stores
Click Here To Visit Diffuser World.
More Reading: some links are being updated
Essential oils for new beginnings; including:
- List of Essential Oils for Specific Emotions List of Emotions and what kind of Essential Oils to use to either enhance or subdue them. Related Topics:Frankincense | Bergamot | Holistic Remedies | Sandalwood
- Natural Remedies for Allergies; Immune Boosting Essential Oils, Allergen Home Spray Recipe, and Allergy Relief Blend Recipe See inside What is an allergy? How to get relief from allergies with essential oils? How to naturally fight allergies with essential oils as well as Immune Boosting Essential Oils, Allergen Home Spray Recipe, and an Allergy Relief Blend Recipe
- How to Use Essential Oils for Detoxification Detoxifying the body using essential oils is one of the best ways to clean out the harmful toxins laying stagnant in our bodies. Find out which essential oils to use for detoxing the body, and different ways to detoxify the body, mind and spirit.
- Essential Oils and Chakras Part Eight; Using Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras; 7th Chakra or the Crown Chakra Understanding the crown chakra, essential oils, gemstones, crystals, flower essences, sounds and notes used to help balance the crown chakra, angelic aid in balancing the crown chakra, as well as which essential oils to use, and how to use them.
- Essential Oils and Chakras Part Seven; Using Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras; 6th Chakra or the Third Eye Chakra Understanding the third eye chakra, essential oils, gemstones, crystals, flower essences, sounds and notes used to help balance the 6th chakra, angelic aid in balancing the 6th chakra, as well as which essential oils to use, and how to use them
- Essential Oils and Chakras Part Six; Using Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras; 5th Chakra or the Throat Chakra Understanding the throat chakra, essential oils, gemstones, crystals, flower essences, sounds & notes used to help balance the throat chakra, angelic aid in balancing the 5th chakra as well as which essential oils to use, and how to use them.
- Essential Oils and Chakras Part Five; Using Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras; 4th Chakra or the Heart Chakra Understanding the heart chakra, essential oils, gemstones, crystals, flower essences, sounds and notes used to help balance the heart chakra, angelic aid in balancing the heart chakra, as well as which essential oils to use, and how to use them.
- Essential Oils and Chakras Part Four; Using Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras; 3rd Chakra or the Solar Plexus Chakra Understanding the solar plexus chakra, essential oils, gemstones, crystals, flower essences, sounds and notes used to help balance the solar plexus chakra, angelic aid in balancing as well as which essential oils to use, and how to use them.
- Essential Oils and Chakras Part Three; Using Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras; The Sacral Chakra Understanding the sacral chakra, essential oils, gemstones, crystals, flower essences, sounds and notes used to help balance the sacral chakra, angelic aid in balancing the sacral chakra, as well as which essential oils to use, and how to use them.
- Essential Oils and Chakras Part Two; Using Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras; The Root Chakra The root chakra; how to add essential oils to your chakra balancing technique, which oils to use, and how to use them, as well as a few notes on how to incorporate them with the aid of angels, specific crystals, gemstones & corresponding notes
- Essential Oils and Chakras Part One; Introduction to Using Essential Oils for Balancing the Chakras In this section you’ll find the answers to: a little about aromatherapy, What are the chakras? Chakras explained through the aura, and How can aromatherapy be used to balance the chakras?
- How to Make a Natural Travel Kit with Essential Oils Aromatherapy for travelers includes notes & dilution uses, recipes for; sunburn relief spray, jet lag, migraines, stress headaches, nausea, travel sickness, queasiness, fear of flying, preventing deep vein thrombosis and more!
- Natural Holistic Remedies for Anxiety, Stress and Depression Part two of the “Natural Holistic Remedies” series, this one targets anxiety, stress and depression, natural alternatives to Prozac, Valium and Ritalin.
- Essential Oil Recipes for Detoxing the Body Recipes for: Skin and Internal Organ Detox Blend, Immediate Detox Blend, Cleanse & Detox Blend, Super Detox and Cellulite Buster Blend, Liver / Lymphatic System Detox Blend, Mind-Detox Blend and Stress Relief, Purify Your Space Blend
- Kanna ( Sceletium Tortuosum ) “The Happy Plant” Natural Alternative Wonder Plant for Weight Loss, Anxiety, Depression and Addictions to Alcohol & Smoking Kanna or Sceletium Tortuosum is quickly becoming known as “The African Happy Plant” and has some miraculous qualities that will have everyone in the U.S. snatching it up quicker than the latest Twilight book.
original link: http://voices.yahoo.com/can-essential-oils-help-depression-6764552.html
RESOURCES & More REading;
Aromatherapy Remedy Reference; Physical, Emotional & Mental Symptoms List
Aromatherapy Remedy Reference …Cont…
Recipe and Uses for Homemade Unpetroleum Jelly, and vapor rub recipe
Ease Exhaustion Blend,
Romantic massage oil,
Exotic aftershave recipe
Reduce Stretchmarks, Scars or Keloids with Essential Oils, Scar Serum Recipe
All about Lavender
Read more about Helichrysum oil in action:Buy Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt, Advanced Aromatherapy.
The Supportive Healing of Helichrysum A.K.A Everlasting & Immortelle: Wondrous Essential Oil Support for Healing Wounds and Scars with Essential Oils
Helichrysum italicum spp. serotinum: The best Helichrysum italicum is produced in Corsica,
Blue Healer (you can buy blue healer from; http://www.theoilshop.com)
wrinkle repair and reducer recipe
DIY Beauty Recipe : 8 Flower Nectar Elixir , Anti-aging serum
DIY rejuvenation face mask recipe, helps to smooth wrinkles, fine lines, chapped, oily or unbalanced skin
Candice’s hubpages articles