If you’re interested in making your own essential oil blends, or just wondered what might go into specific recipes for energy work, read on, I have a real treat for you. This was originally written for YahooContributor back in ’09, but since they’ve shut down the site, it needed a home.
Primer, “Rose Base” Recipe (used in many of the following recipes), Clearing Room Spray, Positive Energy Spray, Setting Up Boundaries or for Protection Blend, Asking for Spiritual Guidance Blend, Clearing the Aura After Energy Healing Work Blend, and a beautiful Facial Winter Spritzer.
None of the links in this article work, they are no longer linked to Yahoo as the site has been taken down.So here’s another of my orphaned articles I’ll share it with you here… I’m working on finding homes for the rest of them. 🙂
First, a primer, or a little refresher course-
About Dilution of Essential Oils:
Almost all pure essential oils should be used diluted (mixed with a carrier such as sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, etc.), especially if you will be using them on the skin. Remember that essential oils are extremely concentrated, as they include the whole spirit or “life blood” of the plant, flower, resin or root they originated from. Did you know that it takes 30 large roses to make 1 drop of rose oil, and 60,000 roses (about 180 lbs. of rose petals) to make 1 ounce of Rose oil? Now you know why it is so expensive!
Really, none of the essential oils should be applied neat (undiluted) with the exception of lavender or tea tree essential oils. And remember too, that they come from natural plants so some may be allergic to their properties. Please try a patch test before using any essential oil blend on your skin by applying 1 drop of diluted essential oil to the inside of your elbow, cover it with a band-aid and leave for 24 hours to check for allergic reaction.
Dilution Ratios for Blends and Essential Oil Recipes
Using the following ratios for your essential oil blends and recipes should keep you within the safe zone.
- 60 drops e.o. / 1 oz. carrier = 10% dilution ( for room sprays, aromatic spritzers, + inhalers)
- 30 drops of e.o. (like rose, jasmine, neroli, sandalwood, etc.) to 1 oz carrier such as Fractionated Coconut Oil or Jojoba makes 5% dilution.
- 20 drops e.o. / 1 oz = 3% dilution.
- 15 drops essential oils / 1 oz of carrier is called a 2.5% “normal” dilution.
- 9 drops essential oils / 1 oz of carrier would constitute a “light dilution”, also called a 1.5% dilution.
- 6 drops e.o. / 1 oz carrier is 1% dilution
- FOR INFANTS or SMALL CHILDREN, ELDERLY or PREGNANT use 3-6 drops e.o. / 1 oz of carrier for a 0.5-1% dilution
- There’s about 600 total drops in 1 fluid ounce if you want to figure out a different dilution percentage.
Body sprays can handle up to 60 drops of e.o. per every 4 ounces of carrier, and for room sprays, up to 100 drops per every 4 ounces of water (or carrier) is the normal range .
ON to the good stuff!!
Extending Expensive Essential Oils and “Rose Base” Recipe:
Creating a 5% or 10% dilution is also a great way to extend the life of the more expensive oils (like rose, sandalwood, jasmine or neroli). For example, to make a “rose base” add 30 drops of rose otto to 1 ounce of fractionated coconut oil or jojoba oil –because of their little to no scent and long lasting properties – use this as your “scented base” for the recipes calling for rose.
If you have a really nice rose otto or rose absolute use this method to really open up the scent, as right out of the bottle rose absolute is quite overpowering and bombards the senses. With most essential oils it seems the more they are diluted, the more delicate the aroma, allowing the scent to fully open and be appreciated for all its attributes. Essential oils like lemon or lavender do not need to be stored this way, as they are light enough to begin with, so just keep them in the dark bottles they came in, and store in a cool and dark place.
For Energy Work use this Cleansing and Clearing Blend:
- 25 drops of Lavender,
- 20 drops of Rosemary,
- 20 drops of Lemon,
- 15 drops of Cedarwood (Atlas),
- 5 drops of Eucalyptus,
- 5 drops of Juniper,
- 5 drops of Pine, and
- 5 drops of “rose base”
- in 4 ounces of purified water
Makes a lovely room or “space-clearing” spray, or use a few drops of the undiluted blend in a diffuser.
Use a “normal” or “light” dilution if using as a body spray. Make sure to always shake well before each use.
Positive Energy Spray:
- 4 ounces of purified (or distilled) water
- 10 drops of “Rose base”,
- 10 drops of cedarwood (Atlas),
- 7 drops of vetiver,
- 7 drops rosewood ,
- 9 drops of lavender,
- 6 drops “neroli base”,
- 12 drops pink grapefruit,
- 12 drops of orange,
- 12 drops of tangerine,
- 8 drops of lemon,
- 8 drops of bergamot (BF–bergaptene free)
Shake well and use as a room spray. For a body spray, use about 45-60 drops of this blend and add it to 4 ounces of distilled or purified water, shake well each time before use.
Cleansing and Positive Energy Combination Spray:
To cleanse the space and bring positive energy at the same time, you might want to try one of these combinations:
- 30 drops Pink Grapefruit,
- 25 drops Lemon,
- 25 drops Tangerine, and
- 20 drops Lavender
- with 4 ounces purified water.
- 35 drops Cedarwood (Atlas),
- 35 drops Grapefruit,
- 20 drops of Orange, and
- 10 drops “rose base”
- added to 4 ounces of purified water.
Always shake well before using.
Setting up Boundaries or Protection blend:
You might want to use this blend to aid in protecting your space from negativity or bad energy:
- 1 drop fennel,
- 3 drops of rosemary,
- 3 drops of juniper,
- 8 drops of lemon,
- 2 drops of hyssop and
- 3 drops of vetiver
- diluted into 1-4 ounces of carrier
You can use a few drops of this blend for an anointing oil, or use a few drops of the blend diluted in 4 ounces of purified water as a spray.
Asking for Spiritual Guidance blend:
Add 1 drop of the following blend placed on the “third eye” chakra before meditation or asking for spiritual guidance:
- 7 drops of cedarwood (Atlas),
- 3 drops “neroli base”,
- 3 drops of “rose base”,
- 2 drops of jasmine,
- 1 tiny drop of angelica (pre-diluted at in a carrier as angelica is VERY strong),
- 1 drop of both German and Roman chamomiles,
- 7 drops of lavender,
- 4 drops of geranium,
- 1 drop of cistus (pre-diluted in a carrier) and
- 4 drops of frankincense (pre-diluted in a carrier)
blended into 1 ounce of jojoba, sweet almond, grapeseed, or unscented coconut oil,
this may also be added to 2 ounces of purified water to make a spray if you’d rather not place anointing blend directly on skin.
To clear the Aura after Energy Healing work;
It is best to use a drop of rose base diluted in purified water sprayed around you, or one drop of rose base diluted in a carrier oil as an anointing oil to clear the aura, though, the clearing spray works fine too.
Facial Spritzer Winter Recipe:
A nice winter facial spritzer for almost all skin types
- 3 drops of the “rose base”
- and 3 drops of the “neroli base”
- ( no more than 10 drops total maximum)
added to 4 ounces of one of the following;
- purified water,
- rose,lavender or neroli hydrosols,
- or even distilled water.
My favorite facial spritzer in the winter is;
- 4 oz. of neroli hydrosol,
- 4 drops of “neroli base” (you can also use a 3% dilution for any of the “base” recipes such as “rose base” or “neroli base” ),
- 2 drops of geranium,
- 2 drops of sandalwood and
- 2 drops of bergamot; but make sure the bergamot is bergaptene free (or bf). Bergaptene content in regular bergamot causes photosensitivity and since the bergaptene has been removed in this type, it allows it to be used in skin and hair care formulations without worrying about sun exposure after use.
Mix together the essential oils and hydrosols in a dark glass or PET plastic (PET is a type of plastic that can withstand essential oils) spray bottle, shake well before each use, and spray over face anytime for a nice moisturizing spritz.
Resources & More Reading;
Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field
Be sure to check out more of my articles on chakras: (working on linking these back to this blog)
Essential Oils and Chakras Part Two; Using Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras 1-3
Essential Oils and Chakras Part Three; Using Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras 4-7